Poker Myths Busted
A few years ago, poker was only played by a small group of people. It was usually a group of friends or serious players who competed in casino events. Only recently have poker erupted into the mainstream by means of televised events. Even with its growing popularity, there are still a few myths about poker that don’t seem to die.
This is the reason why poker is portrayed in movies and the media. It gets twisted and constructed as a dangerous game with high stakes and only played by mobsters. In reality, poker is less intense and any competition is friendly and part of the game situs casino.
As long as you play with the right people, all you have to lose is a little money and time. Here are the truths about poker:
1. Poker isn’t illegal even outside the casinos. The idea is that it’s only played by mobsters and usually ends up in violence in the movies and media. Rest assured that poker is legal and has no direct association with crime. Crimes are only committed by players who want to commit to them.
2. Luck has won a small role. What it comes down to is how well a player plays every hand they are given. In the end, everyone for out of luck balances. Everyone will eventually get the same hands. The choices the players make are each handy whether they are successful or not.
3. Poker face is the most important thing to win. It is, however, important to have. What you don’t want to give away is your face. What’s more important is reading people’s behavior patterns. Other players of alertness and awareness take actions and their cards will keep you farther than a stiff, neutral face. Also, internet poker completely eliminates the need for a poker face.
4. It’s not as intense as “movie” poker, but there’s still a level of viciousness required to play. You’re basically at war with your opponents, armed with your mind and cards. There’s a constant power struggle. You should still treat them with respect, of course. But just remember you’re out to beat them.
5. Winning is not easy. When they show poker on TV, they don’t show how many people have lost. They just show you the hand full that got to the final table. There’s a lot of chances to lose and the way to the top. Mistakes are plentiful, especially when there is a lot of money at stake.
6. Women play poker, and they play well. There are tons of women that play at different levels. There are even women who are competing and playing for win money. The reason poker is considered a “man’s” game can be blamed on, you guessed it, misleading movies and media.
7. Cheating in poker rarely exists, at least at the competitive level of casinos and high limit games. The times it occurs in backroom games are either strictly regulated or closely monitored. Online chefs are highly susceptible to better cheating technology.
8. Poker isn’t solely based on mathematics. Some math is involved, but the amount of human factors involved is poker to a structured mathematical approach. The only math involved is based on the cards you have and the cards you see and know that are out. Even then, information is too limited to base a decision off. The human factor has to be accounted for before any decision is made.
These are only a handful of the ocean of poker myths. Hopefully, now you are armed with these facts, you will drop some knowledge next time you hear someone speak poker blasphemy.
Knowledge is power.
Written by Duy Luu
Find the best Poker Table Supplies.